Rafale case: Govt tells SC documents related to deal stolen

Gaurav Joshi, 06/03/2019
Rafale case: Govt tells SC documents related to deal stolen

Attorney General KK Venugopal on Wednesday told the Supreme Court, which is hearing review petitions in the Rafale deal case, that certain documents pertaining to the purchase of the fighter jets have been stolen from the defence ministry.

Venugopal objected to the arguments made by lawyer Prashant Bhushan when he started reading out from a note in the Supreme Court. Bhushan argued that the Supreme Court would not have dismissed the plea seeking probe into the Rafale deal case had “critical facts” were not suppressed by the government.

KK Venugopal told the court that the documents relied upon by advocate Prashant Bhushan were stolen from defence ministry by “present or former employees”. Venugopal informed the apex court that an investigation has been ordered into the stolen papers.

The Narendra Modi government signed an agreement with France in 2016 for the purchase of Rafale fighter jets. Under the Rs 59,000-crore deal, French firm, Dassault Aviation will supply 36 Rafale fighter jets to India in flyaway condition.

The attorney general argued that the notes published in a newspaper and annexed in the review petition are “privileged” and cannot be taken note of. He said the court is dealing with defence purchases that involve security of the country.

“Recent incidents have shown how sensitive it is so far as defence purchases are concerned…Such a scrutiny will affect future purchases. Countries would be hesitant before entering. They would say we would have to pass hurdles of parliament and TV channels and finally the court,” said Venugopal against the review petitions in Rafale deal case.

He also told the court that prosecution would be launched against the two papers and the lawyer who has annexed it with the petition. Earlier, Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi refused to accept any fresh affidavit by Prashant Bhushan asking him to confine his arguments to the documents already submitted in the court.

The Rafale deal ran into controversy after the opposition parties led by the Congress alleged irregularities in signing of the contract with the French company. Some people including Bhushan and former Union ministers Yashwant Sinha and Arun Shourie moved the Supreme Court last year seeking independent probe into the Rafale deal.

The Supreme Court dismissed the pleas observing that due process was followed in signing the Rafale deal. The court also said that it did not find any “commercial favouritism” in the contract.

More Stories in News

Karsoo
489

Mosque Staff Caught With Bullets While Visiting Arvind Kejriwal Arrested

By Bhavana Sharma - 27/11/2018

He was among twelve priests who had gone to Arvind Kejriwal's home for an open hearing. A slug was found in his wallet while he was being searched.

Karsoo
439

Madhya Pradesh Elections 2019: Is this a No-Wave Poll?

By Vishal Chauhan - 30/04/2019

The Chambal River marks the border between the south eastern districts of Rajasthan such as Dholpur, Karauli and Sawai Madhopur on one hand and the northern districts of Madhya Pradesh such as Morena and Sheopur on the other.

Karsoo
277

Data Reveals an Election of Anger in Punjab: No favourites. Not Modi, nor Captain

By Vishal Chauhan - 17/05/2019

Anti-incumbency is a mild word to describe the public sentiment in Punjab as it goes to vote in the Lok Sabha elections on 19 May. There is resentment against the political class at every level – from Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh to local leaders across party lines.

Karsoo
749

PM Modi to File Nomination for Lok Sabha Polls from Varanasi Today

By Vishal Chauhan - 26/04/2019

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to file his nomination from the Varanasi seat for the Lok Sabha elections on Friday, 26 April. After addressing a gathering of BJP party workers and booth leaders, he will make his way to file his nomination.

Karsoo
694

Odisha: ‘Yellow Warning’ as Cyclone “Fani” Likely to Hit by 3 May.

By Vishal Chauhan - 01/05/2019

The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) has issued a ‘yellow warning’ for Odisha coast as cyclone Fani is likely to hit the between Puri and Kendrapara by Friday, 3 May, reported ANI. The Election Commission has reportedly approved the proposal for lifting of the Model Code of Conduct in Odisha districts of Puri, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Bhadrak, Balasore, Mayurbhanj, Gajapati, Ganjam, Khordha, Cuttack and Jajpur due to the cyclone to facilitate speedy rescue operations.

View More Stories